Author Topic: Caffeine  (Read 3658 times)

Dglaz

• View Profile
Caffeine
« on: November 23, 2018, 11:01:56 »
Mirna reports that Caffeine is available at : https://apkpure.com/caffeine/nl.syntaxa.caffeine

but I cannot find the 'sqcube' version recommended by Peter W in his post ( https://mirgo2.co.uk/bridgepal_forum/index.php?topic=84.0 ), which I believe allow more control over. the display

Reg Hull

• View Profile
Re: Caffeine
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 14:59:26 »
Hi
I am probably missing the benefit of using Caffine. Why not just use the power display options available within Android?

Mirna

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 15:04:12 »
The link I provided seems to go to the version of Caffeine with sqcubes as author. Presumably this is the version that Peter recommended

Peter W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 13:46:22 »
Mirna's link opens the Apkpure page for the sqcubes Caffeine app that I've set up for the two clubs I maintain on my browser.
I couldn't get the same effect from the versions of Android I've been working with. I could set up so the screen switched off completely after 15 or 30 seconds, but not to just dim it and stay on. If the screen switched off then the power button had to be used to get it on again, which is much less convenient. Let me know if I've missed some Android setting please.

Mirna

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 15:04:07 »
I must have been lucky, but Caffeine works for me on several different devices and it works well. I run it on Alcatel Pixi4, Alcatel POP4, Google Nexus 4, Lenovo tab7 and an ancient Kindle. I use BridgePal launcher so when I turn the device on, after half a minute I get CONNECTED... message and the Caffeine icon on the status bar on top of the screen. Screen is dimmed as expected until I tap it.
Here is how I set it up::
- On the Settings under Display set Sleep to the desired timeout – I suggest 1 minute
- Start Caffeine, then
1. Set Caffeine to On
2. Under Brightness – set to Dim after system display timeout (as above)
3. Untick Deactivate when screen turns off
4. Auto activate on USB – unticked
5. Click on Activate caffeine for applications and tick BridgePal (and Bridge Solver if installed and in my case Nova launcher if my specially configured Kindle)
6. At this point a screen message pops up telling you to turn on Caffeine accessibility service etc. There is an option TURN ON in red next to it. Click on this. scroll down to Caffeine and tap on Off – this will turn the accessibility to On
7 Tick Enable caffeine at boot
8. Tick Activate at boot

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 20:01:41 by Mirna »

Mirna

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 15:23:03 »
UPDATE - I have found that Caffeine doesn't work as expected on Alcatel U5. The screen doesn't dim, but it turns off.

Dglaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 08:26:22 »
I have had a similar experience with Acer tablets which I suspect is caused by Acer's own software. I have not been able to explore it while sorting out other issues, but hope to have a look over the Christmas break.