Author Topic: Traveller Screen Sort Order  (Read 3629 times)

RexG

• View Profile
Traveller Screen Sort Order
« on: February 08, 2019, 20:38:35 »
Currently board results are sorted by N/S pair number in the left hand column. Is it possible to choose the column to sort by i.e. I would like to sort by the results column in descending order. This would display the pink highlighted row at the top if you have a top board, or bottom if a bottom board etc. This gives an instant ranking without even looking at percentage figures.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller Screen Sort Order
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 12:50:31 »
No, it isn't currently possible to sort the traveller by a different column. I'm not sure there is that much to be gained  by doing that - the percentage column already enables you to see how much you have gained or lost on that particular board. Anyway, I'll record the fact that it has been suggested as a possible future enhancement.

Reg Hull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:56 »
Hi
For me I cannot see the benefit.
It's only a snapshot at a moment in time which will change as others play the board.
The pink works really well and everyone quickly knows how they have done. At our club the usual debate is, what could make and who made what.
I think we have to remember that the beauty of BridgeScore is it's simplicity and that it's free. As you start to add things, it clutters up the programs and things start becoming inefficient.

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 10:56:23 »
I agree very much with RexG. Position is the really useful feature of the traveller screen and having results in rank order makes this instantly clear. Having to compare all the percentage numbers and then work out where you are has no advantage.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 11:10:49 »
I have to disagree. Why do you need to compare percentage numbers to work out where you are ? Percentage tells you how much you have gained or lost on that particular board (though both rank order and percentage are only accurate when all pairs who are due to play the board have played it). The traveller rank order tells you very little in this respect unless it's an absolute top or absolute bottom.

However, clearly there are strong views and we may consider it as an option setting for a future release.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:14:42 by johng »

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 16:19:10 »
If you are going to make an option to sort the traveler screen, could you also incorporate an option to not display it at all?  I run a game for a senior center and they get involved with discussing what everyone else bid, slowing the game down.
A living example of Artificial Intelligence.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 16:28:52 »
You can already prevent display of the results on the traveller for other tables. If you are using the latest version of BridgePal Server (version 2.2.0) you can change this setting on the BridgePal Server "Settings" screen. Just untick the "Include All Tables" checkbox and click on "Save".

John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 15:35:27 »
Sweet!  I saw the option but didn't know what it did.

Thanks!
A living example of Artificial Intelligence.