Author Topic: Recent updates giving error messages - Windows XP?  (Read 2521 times)

Peter W

• View Profile
Recent updates giving error messages - Windows XP?
« on: January 15, 2019, 14:04:50 »
I maintain BridgePal systems for 2 clubs, one running on Windows XP (SP3) and the other on Windows 8. Recent updates have resulted in error messages appearing when I start wireless scoring on Windows XP but not on Windows 8. The errors give an option to continue and all seems to work OK if I do that. This started a couple of updates back but as it wasn't fatal I held off in case you sorted it in a following update.

The first message is:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 207
Char: 2
Error: 'classList' is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: http://127.0.0.1:1357/bridgepal_server/BridgePalServer.php?gdbPath=C:/BridgePal&para=C:\BridgePal\BridgePal.exe%20/f:

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

And if I answer yes to this the second message is:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 2203
Char: 1
Error: 'Element' is undefined
Code: 0
URL: http://127.0.0.1:1357/bridgepal_server/BridgePalServer.php?gdbPath=C:/BridgePal&para=C:\BridgePal\BridgePal.exe%20/f:

These are titled "Internet Explorer Script Error' but as IE is no longer supported/recommended for XP I have replaced it with Opera - so perhaps that's relevant?

I have installed BridgePalServices v2.0.2, BridgePal version 2.0.5, BridgeScore 4.0.5, Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and I have checked that the Apache server is uninstalled.

Any ideas? 

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Recent updates giving error messages - Windows XP?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 19:04:12 »
Hi Peter,

You mention you've replaced IE with Opera. I don't think you can actually uninstall it as such - it's still there on the machine even if you "uninstall" it from Add/Remove programs, and it is the IE component that is used by BridgePal Server.

The symptoms you describe indicate that you have IE7 installed. You need to install IE8 (which is the last version of IE that can run on Windows XP). If you do so, the error message will disappear. You can download it from https://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/internet-explorer-8 . This site downloads the installer directly from Microsoft servers so there shouldn't be any issues with viruses. You'll probably need to do the download using Opera as IE7 doesn't support more recent encryption protocols and therefore doesn't work any more with lots of internet sites.

I've tested this procedure by downgrading an XP system to IE7, resulting in exactly the error messages that you report when starting BridgePal Server. Upgrading to IE8 by running the above installer eliminates these error messages.

I assume you should still be able to set Opera as the default browser even when you have IE8 installed - it won't be used by BridgePal Server.

John
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:16:01 by johng »

Peter W

• View Profile
Re: Recent updates giving error messages - Windows XP?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:38:09 »
John,

Thanks for going to all the trouble of downgrading a system to check. I haven't worked with XP for a long time - until now again. I got dire warnings about using IE and so 'uninstalled' it (or so I thought), also partly because I didn't want anything running in the background that wasn't absolutely necessary - the laptop is very old and low spec.

I'll install the IE8 patch as directed and I'm sure all will be OK.

Peter