Author Topic: Scoring devices - 27 months of reflections from Mountnessing  (Read 2316 times)

Alaric

• View Profile
We have been using Android-based wireless scoring systems since April 2015.  Unfortunately, we 'discovered' the BridgePals system just a little too late, as we were committed to the Jannersten BridgeTabs system.  After 11 months, we abandoned BridgeTabs and switched to John & Mirna's system, and we have been delighted ever since.

This thread is supposed to be about scoring devices, not the relative merits of systems, but that intro was necessary to explain why it is that we have been following practices that I would recommend others to AVOID!  The BridgeTabs system was only really workable through the larger screens offered by a 7 inch Tablet, so that is why we purchased a total of 15 imported Chinese tablets, which averaged around £38 each by the time they were actually in our hands.

Of the original 15, only 11 are still usable.  Remember, that is after just one session per week, for slightly over two years.  Two of them have inoperable on/off switches, one keeps powering on and off at will, and the fourth failure boots to a factory reset every time it starts.

The Tablets also score black marks for being very poor on battery life, some of them struggling to keep alive for a single session.  And, yes, we have applied every battery-saving trick we can think of even to achieve that level of success(??)

So my advice is - if you are thinking of using cheap Tablets as your scoring devices - DO NOT!!!  I am on the look-out for a good deal on phones to replace the Tablets, and I'll share our experiences with the forum when that plan has been followed through.