Author Topic: Alcatel Pixi 4 (4) from Tesco  (Read 4810 times)

Mirna

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Alaric

• View Profile
Re: Alcatel Pixi 4 (4) from Tesco
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 18:09:49 »
Thanks for this recommendation, Mirna.
Because we are used to using 7" Tablets, I have persuaded the committee that we shouldn't go too small with regard to screen size, so I am looking at 4.5" screens, not ruling out 5".  I have found some refurbished phones on Tesco Ebay.  At £40 each, they are a bit pricey, but they offer 10% off for 2 or more, and I need 12 of them.  These are Lenovo 3G phones.  They appear to me to tick the boxes.  They come with Android 5.1, and they are 8GB phones.  Presumably that would be good enough to use as BridgePals? 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-A-Plus-Smartphone-Black-8GB-4-5-Touchscreen-3G-Wi-Fi-Unlocked-Sim-Free-/401275754712?hash=item5d6de618d8:g:HS4AAOSw2gxYobKX#rwid

Thanks for any thoughts / comments you may be able to offer.

UPDATE: In the event we went for a batch of factory refurbished unlocked Alcatel Phones that we got through Tesco EBay.  These phones have 5" screens and come with Android 6.n pre-installed.  The price for one was £45, but they offered a 10% discount for an order of 2 or more, so our 12 phones cost a total of £486. They have now been in use at Mountnessing for 6 weeks and they have gone down VERY well with the members.  They are vastly better than the cheap Chinese 7" tablets that we had been using, originally purchased by the club when we went live with The Jannersten system - which we have all now long since forgotten all about!  Compared with the Tablets, they take up a smaller foot-print on the table, are vastly more responsive, and take up a lot less physical space - for carrying, storage, etc.  But above all, whereas some of the tablets were struggling to survive a single session on a single charge, the phones are lasting 3 sessions per charge easily, and, at a pinch they would probably do 4 sessions.  That battery performance has been achieved by setting the display to 'never' sleep, rather than an irritating '1 minute' that the Tablets had to be set to to get them to last a whole evening.

These particular phones may now be sold out, but in case not, they are Alcatel-POP-4-Smart-Phone-Slate-Grey-8GB-5-HD-Android-6-0-Unlocked-Sim-Free

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:25:53 by Alaric »

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 18:45:09 »
These look ok to me, Alaric. It appears these have the same number of screen pixels as the Pixi 4 4", but with 4.5" screen. Should be perfectly fine to use as a BridgePal.

The spec says it has a removable battery but from a quick search on google and ebay I couldn't find any advertised, maybe you can. I don't know whether the removable battery is an important selling point for you - I should say we have not yet needed to replace a battery on our 5 year old BridgePals.

John

Alaric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 18:51:06 »
Thank you

Alaric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 18:52:07 »
I found these added details on a different website:
Super fast quad core processor + 1GB of RAM
Android 5.1 Lollipop OS
8GB Storage + 32GB micro SD card slot

Alaric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:51 »
UPDATE: In the event we went for a batch of factory refurbished unlocked Alcatel Phones that we got through Tesco EBay.  These phones have 5" screens and come with Android 6.n pre-installed.  The price for one was £45, but they offered a 10% discount for an order of 2 or more, so our 12 phones cost a total of £486. They have now been in use at Mountnessing for 6 weeks and they have gone down VERY well with the members.  They are vastly better than the cheap Chinese 7" tablets that we had been using, originally purchased by the club when we went live with The Jannersten system - which we have all now long since forgotten all about!  Compared with the Tablets, they take up a smaller foot-print on the table, are vastly more responsive, and take up a lot less physical space - for carrying, storage, etc.  But above all, whereas some of the tablets were struggling to survive a single session on a single charge, the phones are lasting 3 sessions per charge easily, and, at a pinch they would probably do 4 sessions.  That battery performance has been achieved by setting the display to 'never' sleep, rather than an irritating '1 minute' that the Tablets had to be set to to get them to last a whole evening.

These particular phones may now be sold out, but in case not, they are Alcatel-POP-4-Smart-Phone-Slate-Grey-8GB-5-HD-Android-6-0-Unlocked-Sim-Free