Author Topic: Amazon Fire 7 Tablet  (Read 3875 times)

Peter W

• View Profile
Amazon Fire 7 Tablet
« on: March 17, 2018, 15:28:58 »
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Amazon Fire 7 Tablet as a scoring device? I've never used one but I think there is no access to the Google store and that Amazon have generally locked it down.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Fire 7 Tablet
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 16:01:48 »
I know that some Fire tablets are being used with BridgePal by some of the welsh clubs, but I believe they have replaced the amazon firmware with a more standard implementation of android. For instructions on how to do this see this link, which contains instructions for the Fire 1 and Fire 2 tablets.

You don't actually need google play store access to install BridgePal on a standard Fire tablet because you can download it directly from the BridgePal website (see the link in the section on Scoring Unit Setup). You would need to enable installation from 3rd party sources in the Fire tablet settings in order to do this. However, I think this approach is less satisfactory because the Fire tablet is heavily customised (e.g. adverts on the lock screen). Also, it isn't possible to make BridgePal the home screen on a standard Fire tablet (this is a new feature in BridgePal Release 1.5.4)

Peter W

• View Profile
Re: Amazon Fire 7 Tablet
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 16:16:21 »
Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected, but it's good to know someone has managed it. I have played with rooting Android devices, so it's not out of the question.