Author Topic: Access Point Compatibility  (Read 2723 times)

RexG

• View Profile
Access Point Compatibility
« on: February 12, 2019, 11:12:40 »
Hi, I have just installed the upgraded BridgePalServices V2.1.0 and at our club night tonight not one of our 10 tablets would login. We had to score on paper for the night. Now that I am home the tablets will log in without any problem. The difference is the hardware. At the Club we have three access points connected to the PC via ethernet cable i.e. no router whereas at home I have a router on WiFi to the PC. Tablet log in at the club was difficult with the earlier version but they could be persuaded to login and when going performed quite well. Tonight after the upgrade it was impossible. My question is: Is V2.1.0 compatible with Access points? Or is there some other setting I have missed.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Access Point Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:33:45 »
Hi Rex,

I would think it should be compatible with Access Points but never tried it with just an Access Point and no router. Could I suggest you try the troubleshooting steps which I have posted on the forum this morning. See the thread here https://mirgo2.co.uk/bridgepal_forum/index.php?topic=138.0

Are all your BridgePal devices configured with the wireless password for just one of the three Access Points ? Is it possible they might be finding and connecting to another open wifi network at the club premises ?

John

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 14:54:13 »
One further thought. Normally a router has a DHCP server. this is the component that hands out ip addresses to connected devices (unless you have configured all your devices with static ip addresses). Since Access Points normally operate in conjunction with a router it is possible that they are not configured to run a DHCP Server by default, although it may be possible to change this via the Access Point's configuration pages. If the devices cannot get an ip address they will not connect. However, if you have three Access Points connected to the same ethernet, presumably only one of them should run a DHCP Server !

John

RexG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:10:23 »
Thanks for your assistance and suggestions John. I don't think there is any problems with access via AP's. We had a trial run a couple of days ago and everything worked perfectly. All tablets logged in without hesitation. I still don't know what went wrong but it appears the setup is OK.
Rex.