Author Topic: EBU endorsement?  (Read 4615 times)

Gravitino

• View Profile
EBU endorsement?
« on: September 17, 2019, 14:34:34 »
I seem to recall reading recently that the EBU has now endorsed an Android-based scoring system coming out of Bedford Bridge Club.  Does anyone know why?  It seems a kick in the teeth for BridgePal, which is free and, I presume, with a much wider user base than the Bedford system.  The last thing we need is scarce development resources split between two free systems.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EBU endorsement?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 17:33:51 »
The only reference to this I could find on the EBU website is a short article on TabScore in their "Club Management Focus: Summer 2019" newsletter. The article is written by Peter Flippant of Bedford Bridge Club, who is the author of the software. Therefore, I assume it was just submitted by him for publication and as such does not constitute a formal endorsement by the EBU.

I will leave any comparisons to others, as anything I say can obviously not be taken as impartial. Suffice to say that BridgePal has been in existence for 8 years now, and is currently in use at around 70 clubs (this includes only the ones that we know of). This number has more than doubled in the past 12 months.

As for your point about scarce development resources, this isn't really an issue. They are two independent developments and it's not as though we would be combining our efforts if one of them were to cease.

Gravitino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 09:51:44 »
Wherever I get the opportunity, I try to nudge bridge writers (such as David Stevenson) that there are other systems available besides Bridgemates.  Bridgemate shouldn't be regarded as the standard scoring system, particularly when it seems to be so far behind tablet-based solutions which display far more information. The only advantage I see Bridgemate having is a much lower rate of handset failure during sessions, but of course that is based purely on my own experience, and it doesn't in any way justify a price tag that is three times as much.

EBU adoption would be worth a lot, as it has done with EBUscore, but I guess it has taken over the maintenance effort too. You probably wouldn't want that at this stage.  But I think more marketing and promotion for BridgePal would help.  (When we were considering the system, it looked as though all the adoption was slowly spreading across Kent/Essex. The nature of committee decisions is naturally conservative, and they want to talk to users and visit clubs using it.  I suppose I did a bit of a Boris Johnson in that, after discussing scoring systems for many years in committee, I just went out and bought a couple of tablets to test it out for my own understanding and satisfaction, but at my own financial risk. I think you need an individualto take the risk if you want a quick roll-out, but on the other hand you need at least one other technical person who feels involved with these early decisions, because you'll need a back-up and you'll want to go on holidays.)

Sorry, ignore that deviation. My main point is that I think an article or two promoting BridgePal should be written.

Best wishes

Gavin

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 10:35:33 »
Following your forum post yesterday I have in fact already emailed Jonathan Lillycrop of EBU, who is Club Liaison Officer and responsible for the Club Management Focus Newsletter and EBUScore support. I have offered for Mirna and I to provide a similar short article about BridgePal for inclusion in a future Club Management Focus Newsletter and he has replied that he would be happy to include this in the Autumn edition due around November.

Note that BridgePal appears on the menu as a wireless scoring option in EBUScore, PairsScorer, Scorebridge, and CompassV6 scoring programs, in addition to Mirna's own BridgeScore. It is also listed on BridgeWebs "Bridge Technology" page, and turns up either at or near the top of the list in a browser search for "bridge wireless scoring systems". As I've said elsewhere, we developed BridgePal as a hobby for use in our local club, and subsequently decided to make it freely available as a service to other clubs. We don't make money out of it so marketing and advertising (which tends to cost money) are not a priority. Nevertheless, I'm quite gratified with the rate of adoption of BridgePal, which has been accelerating of late.

N.B. Your issues with handset failure, which you also referred to in a different thread, are highly unusual and certainly not representative of other clubs experience. As you know, I've offered to take a look at the log files to see if I can identify why you are having these problems.

Reg Hull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 15:28:50 »
All publicity helps.
Any club looking to change or get a new system has to do some research. Extolling the virtues is a good thing and helps in the decision making process.

John I would also send the same article goes to Mr Bridge.  They are always looking to keep the Bridge community updated and engaged.

As we all know as users of this system that we have the best there is and at minimal cost.

LONG LIVE BRIDGEPAL

Red_Kite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 14:28:08 »
Hi John,
When you have drafted your piece for the EBU please send me a copy and I will see that it is published in our WBU news. You will know that you are already linked on the Welsh Bridge Union website homepage.

With regards to tablet problems ours have been virtually non existent. We have in use Kindles, Lenovo and  BTC Flame 7 inch tablets and Alcatel Pixi4 phones and all work well in seven clubs. Our WordPad 7 inch tablets are our best buy at under £30 each complete with mains charger and case, and they easily do two three hour sessions. I also have USB external charge packs just in case there is a battery failure.

We have Bridgemates but never use them other than for some Area competitions.

Thanks for BridgePal and BridgeScore.

Neville

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 16:18:22 »
Reg - not sure about Mr Bridge magazine. From a quick glance they don't seem to include anything about Bridge technology.

Neville - will email you copy of article.

Reg Hull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 19:23:30 »
Hi John
They do not have a technology section but always welcome articles to add variety.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 15:00:06 »
A short article about BridgePal has now been published by the EBU in the Club Management Focus Autumn 2019 Newsletter - see https://www.ebu.co.uk/newsletters/?id=47&page=6

The text of the article is reproduced below:

"BridgePal is a wireless scoring system based on the use of a low cost android phone or tablet at each table, with wifi connection to a scoring PC. We originally developed it for use at our local Chislehurst bridge club, where it has been used twice weekly for almost 8 years.

Although it is no longer the only android based bridge scoring system in existence we believe it was probably the first to be implemented. About 4 years ago we decided to make the software available to other clubs looking for a low cost wireless scoring system. We do not charge for the software, so the only cost to the clubs is purchase of hardware on which to run the system.

At the time of writing we know of at least 78 clubs worldwide using BridgePal, 55 of these being UK clubs (including 7 welsh clubs), and several as far afield as New Zealand. Undoubtedly this is a conservative figure, as clubs do not have to notify us when they implement the system.

BridgePal is compatible with scoring programs that use the bws database format, including our own easy to use freeware BridgeScore scoring program as well as the most commonly used scoring programs in the UK ? EBUScore, Scorebridge, PairsScorer. BridgePal supports input of player numbers (club and national), display of player names, input of contracts and scores including lead card validation. Travellers are displayed, together with hand records (if available) including makeable contracts and optimum contracts. The hand display even has an optional ?play it again? function with card by card guidance, so players can review how a makeable contract can be reached (time permitting!). Hand entry at the table is supported as an option if pre-dealt hands are not available. Ranking can optionally be displayed at the end of each round or at the end of session.

The BridgePal software is very easy to install, consisting of a couple of installation programs for the PC and an android app downloadable from the Google play store. Once the PC and BridgePal devices have been connected to the same wireless network the devices are automatically configured to communicate with the scoring PC.

Full documentation is available on our BridgePal website at http://bridgepal.co.uk. This site also includes links to our user list and an active forum.
"

Reg Hull

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 17:43:19 »
Great News.
The World needs to know this is the best there is................... :)