Author Topic: Manual Hand Entry  (Read 3365 times)

AlaninMY

• View Profile
Manual Hand Entry
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:35:01 »
The popularity of the software has now started to propagate to our users social games. They do not have the benefit of a dealing machines. They have tried to do manual entry after playing a hand but keep forgetting to click on hand. An enhancement would be to prompt them for manual entry when required and prevent advancement until this is done.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Manual Hand Entry
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:06:47 »
I assume you mean they tap on "OK" on the traveller and don't know how to get back to the traveller screen in order to tap on the Hand button. If there are more boards to play in the current round, it's possible to go back to an earlier traveller in the same round by tapping on the board number when the next traveller is displayed. This will display a set of board numbers for the current round - tap on one of these to display the traveller for an earlier board, and then the Hand button.

If play has progressed to the next round the hand can still be input at the end of the session. On the Ranking screen there is a "Scorecard" button (assuming that you are using the latest BridgePal Server release - 2.0.5 at the time of writing). The Scorecard display shows the scorecard for NS or EW. Tapping on a board number in the left hand column of this display takes you to the traveller for that board, from where you can input the hand.

Another point is that hands can be input at any table that is currently playing them, it does not have to be during Round 1. So, if Table 2 omits to enter the hands during Round 1, Table 1 can enter those hands during Round 2 (assuming boards move downwards), though they may grumble at the extra work !

I wouldn't like to make it mandatory to enter the hands before advancing to the next screen. This would not go down well at bridge clubs where players have run out of time in the current round.

John

AlaninMY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 10:43:49 »
John,

thank you for the reply. Clearly there are plenty of alternative ways to get the hands in that 'we' have not realised. I will pass this information along.
Thank you yet again
Alan

Mirna

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 11:54:53 »
Hi Alan,

Many people won't be aware that BridgePal website www.bridgepal.co.uk has been updated a couple of months ago along with the documentation that goes with it. The BridgePal App User Guide has been updated - see Documents section of the website. There is a new update pending for this for the director's averages - this will be in the upcoming release of the BridgePal server.

Mirna

Neil Cliff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 17:24:47 »
I am experimenting with the system and have set up a 4table 21 rounds 3 board Howell on 4 phones

I have followed the instructions if the inputter inadvertently selects OK on the Traveller screen instead of Hand.

It doesn't work if you are in the last hand of the round. I therefore selected RESET Table and tried from there. I landed up in the first board of the round and put in spurious results. As I progressed through I found the HANDS for the first two board of the round were still there and I could therefore complete the  hand for the third board.

However what happens to the previous results I put in for the first two boards (because I had forgotten what I entered on the first  time, on the second time round it was different)? I haven't managed to check if they were ignored or re-written.

Mirna

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 18:24:00 »
Hi Neil,

If on the last board of the round you inadvertently tap OK on the Traveller screen instead of Hand, then the unit will go to the next round. Whoever is playing hand on the next round can then enter the hand.
However if you want to enter the hand yourself, you can use Correct Score option from the director's menu and then select Hand from the traveller there. Using RESET Table is not the correct action.

Mirna