Author Topic: Acquiring Phones  (Read 3485 times)

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Acquiring Phones
« on: December 21, 2016, 21:25:13 »
Because entry level android phones can now be obtained very cheaply, we suggest that clubs purchase dedicated units rather than relying on devices owned by members.

Suitable android phones can be obtained for a fraction of the cost of dedicated scoring units such as Bridgemate and BridgePad.

The cheapest way to buy new android phones is to acquire a PAYG model locked to a particular network provider. This is because most network providers subsidise the cost of their entry level models in order to build up their user base, and on the assumption that they will make a profit from the network usage charges. When purchasing these entry level deals the network provider will generally insist on purchasing a topup along with the phone, though it is not required for use with BridgePal.

For example, in November 2016 we purchased Alcatel Pixi 4 (4") phones in a Black Friday deal from EE. Total price for each unit was 20 pounds (0 pounds for the phone, plus a 20 pound topup !).

An alternative approach is to purchase android phones on the second hand market, e.g. eBay. Many users upgrade smartphones every couple of years, and a two year old device should be perfectly adequate for running BridgePal.

Whether buying new or second hand it is advisable to initially buy a single unit of the particular model to verify its suitability, and to make sure there are no issues with battery life and that the model is reliable (e.g. no freezes or reboots).

Reg Hull

• View Profile
Re: Acquiring Phones
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 18:51:22 »
I have found the Alcatel Pixi 4 4" a great phone. Currently I can get them for £25 including a £10 top up if I order a few at a time. Anyone interested contact me and I will see what I can do.
Also getting an couple of Alcatel Pixi 4 5" for those members with sighting difficulties or preferring a bigger screen. May be able to gat these c£45. This is a good compromise on a tablet

Regards
Reg :)

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Acquiring Phones
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 14:28:44 »
As of 24th December 2016 I see that EE are advertising Pixi 4 (4") on PAYG for £24.99 (£14.99 + compulsory minimum £10 topup). This is available both in store and online. This is a "50% off" sales promotion on the phone price, presumably continuing into the New Year sales period.

John