Author Topic: Tablets will not connect to Router/PC  (Read 3084 times)

JohnB

• View Profile
Tablets will not connect to Router/PC
« on: January 24, 2019, 12:06:03 »
I have a problem which has arisen on a laptop I have used for bridge sessions on occasions but is not the main PC; the latter works fine.

Having set up a session on the PC and switched on the tablets I get the message "Currently connected to "bridgerouter" wi-fi network but could not communicate with Bridgepal PC. Please try later. This happens with all tablets tried. I have also changed the ethernet lead between the PC and router. Sometimes I get error code -2

The PC is connected to the router and the Control Panel shows bridgerouter as the active network with excellent signal strength.

Any ideas?

John

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tablets will not connect to Router/PC
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 13:33:58 »
Hi John,

The first thing to do is to check whether the tablets are receiving broadcast messages from the PC. Start the BridgePal app on one of the tablets and select "More>>/Find BridgePal Server" from the app menu. Watch the screen for up to 20 seconds and you should see a message pop up for a few seconds - it will report either the ip address of the PC or it will say that the address was not detected.

If the address was not detected the likely reason is that the bridgepalBroadcast service, or one of the other services installed by the BridgePalServices installer, is not running on the scoring PC. These are configured to launch at startup but there have been a couple of cases reported where this does not always happen. I am currently working on a solution to this and expect to release a new version of the BridgePalServices installer in the next few days.

In the meantime, you can check whether the services are running by using the Windows "Services" panel. If you are using Windows 10, type "Services" in the search box at the bottom left of the task bar and then Enter. The services panel lists services in alphabetical order. Check that the following three services are running:

- bridgepalBroadcast
- nginx
- PHP5

If any of these are not running, double click on the entry and then click on "Start".

Let me know if this solves the problem.

The new version of BridgePalServices that I am working on includes a program that will launch these services and ensure that they keep running, rather than leaving it to Windows.

John

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 15:51:16 »
Hi John

Thanks for that; none of the 3 services was running.

I started all three and that solved the problem

Thanks

John

Mirna

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 15:52:53 »
UPDATE
This issue has now been addressed in BridgePalServices Release 2.1.0 and BridgePal Server Release 2.1.0 - see the release notes