Author Topic: Wi-Fi Extender  (Read 1148 times)

DHDunford

• View Profile
Wi-Fi Extender
« on: August 17, 2021, 13:59:33 »
Sorry to have yet another problem.

Trying out a wi-fi extender to overcome areas where connections to computer were unreliable.

Computer set only on wi-fi with password only for the extender. Similarly for a Fire 7 (9th generation). Both connect to the internet via browser.

My phone connects with BridgePal OK, but the tablet does not.

Phone shows:
Device info has correct network name
FindBridgePal Server produces 192.168.1.36

Tablet shows:
Display... Currently connected to " wi-fi network but request to BridgePalPC timed out. Please try again.
Device info .. Network name ... <unknown ssid>
Find BridgePal Server relies PC Address not detected
Select BridgePal Sever has an entry for 100.0.0.150>1357 (which may be because I reinstalled BridgePal on the tablet)

I'm at a loss. Even more so because if I connect my phone to the original wi-fi (not the extender version) it still connects OK to BridgePal !

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wi-Fi Extender
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 18:11:52 »
I'm not clear what network setup you have. Are you saying that both the phone and the tablet are connected to the wifi extender ? Is this extender in turn connected to the main wifi router and is that router connected to the PC ? Are the tablet and phone both using the latest version of the BridgePal app, and the PC using the latest version of BridgePalServices ?

The PC sends its address over the network as a broadcast message and a multicast message (in an older release of BridgePalServices it used to be just a broadcast message, but some devices cannot receive broadcast messages so multicast was added as well).

If the Fire7 can only receive multicast, and if the wifi extender blocks multicast messages but not broadcast messages, then that would be a possible explanation. However, that's just a guess I'm afraid.

If you cannot get it working then you will have to manually configure the address of the PC into the BridgePal app. You could also setup the PC to have a static ip address (beyond the scope of this reply, but you should be able to find a guide via google search).

DHDunford

• View Profile
Re: Wi-Fi Extender
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 17:05:54 »
Thanks, John

By "manual configure the address of the PC", I presume you mean via ... Select BridgePal Server ... Add New Server ?
I entered the address on my phone: 192.168.1.36  (and also tried 192.168.001.036) but got the message that it wasn't a valid address.

Was I doing it right?