Author Topic: Directors PIN  (Read 3510 times)

RexG

• View Profile
Directors PIN
« on: June 15, 2019, 10:55:18 »
Is the Directors PIN retained and carried over from session to session? At the moment we seem to have to input the 0000 default PIN for each session. Is that correct or am I doing something wrong.
Thanks, Rex.

Reg Hull

• View Profile
Re: Directors PIN
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 17:50:58 »
Hi Rex.
The Directors PIN default is 0000.
The only reason you should need to access this function is to perform a special function. The main ones are; reset a table number, acquire a Table Number and  replace a failed unit.

You can choose to change the PIN number to one of your choice.

Regards
Reg

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 18:56:24 »
Yes, the Director's PIN is carried over between scoring sessions. You can change it from the default value via the PIN menu in BridgePal Server (click on the icon that looks like two overlapping phones ,on the windows taskbar, to bring up the BridgePal Server window).

Whatever PIN you use, whether it's the default or otherwise, you still have to enter it every time you carry out a Director's function. This is deliberate, because otherwise the players at a table would be able to access director's functions if the director had previously used a function (e.g. "Change Score") on the BridgePal at their table.

RexG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:41:40 »
Hi John & Reg,
On our computer, as long as BridgePal server is active it will retain the 0000 default PIN. However, the PIN is deleted from the system upon computer shut down. When it is rebooted the PIN box is blank and must be entered again. Is this normal?
Thanks.
Rex.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 14:10:25 »
The PIN entry screen on BridgePal Server does not display the current PIN - it always shows a blank field ready for you to enter a new PIN if required. This does not mean that the PIN has been deleted, it is preserved between sessions and there is no need to enter it every time.

John

RexG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 11:08:46 »
Hi again John & Reg,
I have had several sessions since my last post where Director input is required and without doubt I have to input the PIN each time and have been using the default 0000. It is a bit annoying because inevitably i don't remember to do it at the start of the session and then find i cannot access the Directors functions when called to make an adjustment to any tablet. Is there a setting somewhere that could be causing the PIN to be deleted?
It was suggested to me that I should use a different PIN as zeros are not numbers. I haven't tried that yet.
I have the utmost respect and thanks for your comments but there is something odd here.
Otherwise the program performs well.
Thanks for any help.
Rex.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 17:50:03 »
Hi Rex,

I think what must be happening is that your scoring program is providing a PIN setting and that this is overwriting the value that you entered in BridgePal Server. If the scoring program did not provide a PIN setting (some do not) then the value entered on the BridgePal Server "PIN" screen would persist from session to session. If you are using Compass as the scoring program it supports PIN entry on the "BM Options (3)" tab of the ClubInfo Setup screen. I guess you are not updating this field, so at the start of each session it is overwriting the setting saved via BridgePal Server with whatever value was the default setting in Compass.

I will soon be releasing an update to BridgePal Server, hopefully in the next few days, and what I have decided to do is ignore any PIN value entered in the scoring program and require that any changes to the PIN value are made via BridgePal Server. The PIN setting entered via BridgePal Server will then persist from session to session as described in my earlier post.

I will also change the PIN input screen on BridgePal Server so that it displays the current PIN above the box where you can enter a new PIN.

By the way, "0000" is a perfectly legitimate code for the PIN, so no problem with that.

John
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 19:20:53 by johng »

RexG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 11:33:03 »
Thanks for that John and I think you may be on the right track. We are using Compass and there is a password setup there in the Bridgemate settings. I don't know what it is as I didn't put it there and it just shows 4 asterisks, i.e. concealing it. But it is editable and now that I know it's there I will run some trials and report back to you.
Thanks.
Rex..