Author Topic: Opening Bridgepal 220  (Read 4113 times)

Neil Cliff

• View Profile
Opening Bridgepal 220
« on: March 04, 2019, 15:12:59 »
I am new to this system but am very enthusiastic.Unfortunately I am an Apple man rather than PC. However I am familiar enough with PC's to find my way around(roughly) and use an old Lenovo Thinkpad for Scorebridge and Bridge Composer.

I have manged to download  the  phone app and Bridge server and the phone connects OK with the PC.

However I cannot open the Bridgepal220 which I eventually managed to download. I keep being warned off opening it (Do you want this app from an unknown publisher  etc, )  and when i tick boxes it tries to download it again but I cannot open it.
I have Windows 10 and note Defender which is still running can slow things down.Could it stop the programme operating?

Thank you
neil cliff

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Bridgepal 220
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 15:39:44 »
Hi Neil,

Welcome to the forum.

I assume you are probably getting a blue popup window with the message "Windows protected your PC...Running this app might put your PC at risk". This is probably generated because the file is not digitally signed. However, it has been virus checked and is safe to use.

To install it, click on the "More Info" link in the blue popup window and then click the button "Run Anyway" Ignore any message about the dangers of running an executable file.

Windows Defender would not stop the program installing. We recommend disabling Windows Defender while runnning BridgePal in the club because it may initiate a real-time scan when it thinks the PC is idle (no keyboard or mouse activity for a period of time). This scan is very CPU and disk intensive, and on some PCs can cause extended delays in responses to requests from the BridgePal phones/tablets.

John

Neil Cliff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 19:11:36 »
I go to the Downloads folder and and right click. A list comes up with OPEN at the top. I click on tthis and up comes a two colour yellow white window USER ACCIUNT CONTROL with "Do you want this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device" with yes no selection. If I select YES it wants to iNstall the program again, if I select NO the window disappears and I am no further forward in running the program.

NEIL CLIFF

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 19:26:17 »
I'm not quite clear what you mean when you say "it wants to install the program again" (BridgePal Server 2.2.0). Do you mean you have already installed it ? I just followed the sequence that you describe on my laptop. As you say, a "User Account Control" window appears. If you click YES to the question it brings up the installer window "Setup - BridgePal version 2.2.0". If you now click the "Install" button it will go ahead and do the install. That's all you need to do to install BridgePal Server.

You will also need to download and install BridgePalServices from the PC Downloads page on the BridgePal website.

John

Neil Cliff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 20:39:08 »
I am very sorry for asking a very silly question , but I am an Apple Mac man. How do I open the application from the Download list?

neil Cliff

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 20:50:19 »
It depends which browser you are using to download the file. If you are using Internet Explorer then after you click on the download button for BridgePalServices it will show a message at the bottom of the browser window - "Do you want to run or save BridgePalServices_v2.1.0.exe...", and three buttons "Run", "Save", and "Cancel". You can just click on "Run", no need to click on "Save" first.

John

Neil Cliff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 21:31:05 »
There is something very wrong here. I have Bridge Composer on the Download list, If I double left click it opens the programme .

Double left clicking on the Bridgepal apps only brings up the rigmarole I have already mentioned.

Oh by the way the Windows Defender stop is greyed out, but it is still running in spite of the software installation you suggested

Thank you very much for your help but i think there is something basically wrong with my understanding so I will go and bother someone else and maybe come back to you later

neil Cliff

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 22:23:03 »
Maybe there is a misunderstanding. If you double click on the BridgePal Server or BridgePalServices downloaded file it will always run the installer (the downloaded file is an installer). After you have installed these components you never start them manually. The BridgePalServices components are started as part of the installation process and when the PC is restarted. BridgePal Server is started when you start wireless scoring from within the scoring program.

When you download Bridge Composer, presumably it is the program that is being downloaded rather than an installer for the program.

John
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 22:25:40 by johng »