Author Topic: Request for advice/experience of scoring devices (e.g. Fire 7)  (Read 80 times)

Dglaz

• View Profile
Hailsham BC in Sussex is about to move to the use of Bridgepal and I am exploring options for the scoring devices - 7 inch tablets being the prefeered format.
Any advice/experience would be welcome, in particular wrt cheap tablets and any recent experience of Fire 7s - which are now selling for 30.If anyone has 'cracked' their implementation I would be very interested as I suspect the reliability to be better than equivalently priced imports. I would be reluctant to go down the 'Rooting'  route because of the warranty implications.

johng

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Request for advice/experience of scoring devices (e.g. Fire 7)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:40:01 »
There are a number of issues in using "non-rooted" Fire tablets:

1. It isn't possible to configure the lock screen or the desktop to eliminate all the clutter that is on there.
2. The option in BridgePal to make the app the "home screen", so that the tablet always starts up in BridgePal doesn't work
3. If there is no internet connection on your club router the Fire tablet will not automatically reconnect to that router if it loses the wifi connection at any point.
4. There is no google play store (a google search may turn up instructions for installing it, though I don't know if these are guaranteed to work on all versions).
5. You cannot prevent Amazon updating FireOS on the tablet (unless you never connect it to the internet)

I don't know whether there would be warranty implications of rooting the tablet (most rooting procedures are usually reversible, though not if the tablet can't be booted of course). However, rooting is not even possible on all versions of the Fire/FireOS.

Mirna

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:50:21 »
I would just like to say that most BridgePals we bought are second hand from eBay, manufacturer refurbished. They usually come with 1 year warranty. They always look as good as new. For example this Lenovo 7 Tab sells at the moment for 39.99. PeterW has recently bought these, but I don't know from which source at what was the price - see Club Tips.

Dglaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:54:23 »
Thanks John for the prompt reply.
My understanding is that Rooting would invalidate the guarantee, which is why I am wary of going for it. But 3) is likely to be a killer for us anyway as we do not have internet access at the club. Pity as at the current price of 30 these would have been very attractive,

Dglaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:56:24 »
Thanks Mirna I will follow this up. 

Peter W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 21:17:38 »
Hi, I just noticed Mirna's reference to the Tab E7. Cleobury Mortimer have only used these for one session so far but they seem OK. The club weren't happy buying from the internet so the cheapest I could find them in a physical store nearby was at Argos for 59.99 (they just missed a previous sale in which they'd been reduced to 49.99) - sorry if that sounds too much (I'd agree with Mirna that the refurbished ones are probably OK). The previous equivalent Lenovo tablet (the Tab3 Essential), which I acquired for Craven Arms bridge club (but is now out of production and unobtainable new), had an earlier version of Android but higher capacity battery. The only slight niggle I have with the newer tablets is that the screen goes very dim when the Caffeine app kicks in - I think this is down to the newer version of Android. I'm probably being overly critical as everyone got along fine with them last week. Good luck.