Author Topic: Single Winner movements  (Read 491 times)

ranjitr

• View Profile
Single Winner movements
« on: November 12, 2019, 13:00:26 »
We presently use Bridgemates with ACBL Score at Gymkhana Club Chennai and  plan to switch to Bridgepal / Bridgescore in due course.

We have around 12-16 tables at our weekly tournaments and  seniors who have difficulty in moving are allotted N/S (stationary) seats with  winners declared in each direction.

On the occasions we have a single winner tournaments for which, we use the Scrambled Mitchell option of ACBL Score.

We are unfamiliar with some of the inbuilt movements available in Scorer and observe  for example that the Appendix Mitchell 1 winner option for 12 tables has too many moving pairs.  Could you please suggest a movement for a one winner tournament (for 11/12 rounds -22/24 boards) where N/S pairs as far as possible remain stationary ?

Please also let us know where we can get more information about the EBU movements.

Thanks and regards

Ranjit

Mirna

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Single Winner movements
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 13:48:36 »
Hi Ranjit,

BridgePals will work with ACBL Score, so there is no need to switch to BridgeScore. There is a short guide on the BridgePal website which describes how to use ACBL Score with BridgePal see - BridgePal / ACBL Score Guide.

However if you wish to switch to BridgeScore, you will find that you can probably use the same movements that you have in ACBL Score. I think BridgeScore in fact offers more flexibility.
BridgeScore has two types of movements built in -
1. predefined movements - you can see these in the movement library, but also on the drop down list of movements on the Event - Define Movement screen.
2. generic Mitchell movements - you can define most Mitchell movements again on the Event - Define Movement screen. This is where you would define a scrambled Mitchell. You simply enter
Number of tables
Number of rounds
Boards per round

whether it is One or Two winner
and if One (that is Scrambled Mitchell) you can define arrow switches as desired.

On the same screen you can define sitouts (Missing pair) and share and relay or skip if applicable.

Click on the Help circle on the Define Movement screen for help on defining movement.

Most EBU recommended movements are described in The Ebu Manual of Duplicate Bridge Movements by JR Manning and there is a summary here - Club Duplicate Pairs recommended Movements
but BridgeScore has more movements than these.

Appendix Mitchell is described in the EBU Mannings manual but it is not mentioned in the Club pairs summary. I only came across it in an Irish club, so perhaps it is more popular in Ireland. This movement is good when you have a lot of tables (as far as I can see), although EBU recommend Web Mitchell in that case.

Hope this helps, but if you have any more questions please let me know.

Regards
Mirna
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 13:58:20 by Mirna »